Thursday, January 04, 2007

Project David Brown #1

New Year, New Goals.

Stunned by the fact that I was up, had eaten breakfast and was not significantly hungover by Midday on New Years Day, I thought that I might as well get straight out in the barn and make some progress towards one of this years aims.

I am quite sure that my 1971 David Brown, Select-A-Matic 880, 2.5L, 3 Cylinder Diesel tractor would prove very useful in this years gardening plans. For this reason I really want to get it going by mid spring. This will be easier said than done as the engine is seized solid.



I have been aware that the next step was to get the head and sump off the engine and see what the state of affairs is. Assisted by one of our new years party guests, and with a bit of a struggle we finally persuaded the head to separate from the engine by tea-time on the first.

What we found, was both good and bad, the state of the bores suggests that they are the reason why the engine is stuck due to a significant amount of rust binding the piston to the bore. The good news here is that it could be something much worse.....

5 comments:

SteveA said...

Have you managed to free the pistons yet?
A favorite of mine is to soak them in Cola (Coka Cola) for a few days. That stuff really eats through the rust, as I found out when I wanted to free-up the adjusters on my three point linkage.

Steve

Viking Longship said...

Still Solid, I've been trying penetrating oil, but I'm willing to give anything a go!!

the other cold one said...

Is it worth trying heating the piston/inside of the bore? - would that free it, or is it a mad idea?

Viking Longship said...

Not a bad idea, I'm was already planning to try warming the whole thing up by plugging in the engine block heater, if it still works.

Unknown said...

Nice article .and also very good idea.

punched belting