Monday, February 27, 2006

The Wall


It may seem strange to all of you out there who have struggled to repair cars in garages that are hopelessly small and wished for more space but I am building a wall, to make my workshop/garage smaller.

There is method in my madness. Where I live, the temperature does not rise above freezing for more than a few days from early December to late March. I have had ice stuck to my garage floor for weeks, not ideal working conditions. However, with the dark evenings, I see winter as an ideal time to be out in the garage. During the summer there is grass to cut, vegetables to plant, bar-b-q's to build and use and so on. When there is a meter of snow on everything and it's dark, it's either mope around inside or get out in the garage.

As you can see from my pictures, the bottom level of my barn, which makes up my garages is internally completely open and hence, impossible to heat. By separating off the left hand side (where the Landrover is in the pictures) with an insulated wall, I should be able to have a garage which sits at outside temperature and a Garage/Workshop which is insulated and possible to heat. The other big advantage is that I will be able to use my welder and angle grinder without worrying about damaging the car parked in the other half of the garage.

Progress was good on Sunday morning/ afternoon. We fetched the required wood for the framework down from the top barn using the tractor and trailer. We cut the main pieces to length, making the required joints and test fitted the frames before lunch, things were progressing swimmingly. Unfortunately, after lunch it proved a lot more difficult to reverse the tractor and trailer through the deep snow than it was to drive out of the top of the barn forward. So, instead of finishing off the framework the afternoon was spent getting the trailer wedged at all sorts of funny angles, digging the front of the tractor out of the deep snow etc, etc, etc. I intend to get my warm gear on again this evening and continue the good work, without using the tractor this time....

Updates of progress should follow in a timely fashion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erm... you mention a 'car' in the other half of the garage. Technically correct, sir, but usually the engine and the bodywork are attached in some form to the chassis.......

Viking Longship said...

A valid point I guess.....

Viking Longship said...

Getyourflightsbookedmyson....

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of doing exactly that - will it be as cold as last time? and can you get fashion TV over there.....